GU say no decision yet on technical team

Contract talks: Gumbo
Contract talks: Gumbo

Gaborone United (GU) spokesperson, Kabelo Brown has said he is not aware of any rumoured extension of coach, Rahman Gumbo’ contract.

He said as far as he is aware, the club is still is talks with the head coach regarding his future at the club.

This follows rumours that Gumbo’s contract has been extended after winning the Mascom Top 8 this season.

There were also rumours that former Extension Gunners coach, Dragojlo Stanojlovic has been roped in as the technical director.


The decision is said to have riled several executive committee members who reportedly feel they should have been involved.

There were allegations that such a decision was taken by one board member without involving the rest of the executive committee. However, Brown said he is not aware of such decisions.

“If that is the case then I am not aware. As far as I know, no decision has been made regarding the coaching posts,” he said.

Gumbo arrived at GU at the beginning of last season as a technical director before being named as head coach following David Bright’s departure.

Extension Gunners, on the other hand, sacked Stanojlovic in the middle of this season.

“As far as I know, we are yet to make the decision regarding the coach’s future here. Obviously, we will look at what targets we had set ourselves.

“He will also tell us about his challenges and see whether we managed to reach them or not. That has not happened as yet,” he clarified.

Brown also said their aim is to finalise their discussions with Gumbo this month as the contract expires in June.

“We have to conclude our discussions this month so that if we do not agree on extension, both of us will have time to look for options regarding the future,” he added.  

There were also allegations of a confrontation that happened between a certain committee member and a board member after their game against Rollers on Saturday night.

But, Brown said he also only heard about it through the grapevine. “I am not privy to such information,” he said. 

Meanwhile, BDF XI has parted ways with Letang Rasta Kgengwenyane and replaced him with Louis Setshwane, club spokesperson, Peo Keatlholetswe confirmed yesterday.

Editor's Comment
DCEC, DIS wars threaten gov’t trust

This came about after the DIS agents raided and sealed the DCEC offices last week in search of files allegedly opened by the corruption bursting agency investigators against some of the DIS officers.The move prompted DCEC head, Tymon Katlholo to approach the court to seek a restraining order against the DIS, which the court duly granted through a rule nisi.The turn of events came as a shock to many, especially that the impasse involves two...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up