Magosi promises to stop ‘Hollywood style’ arrests

Kgosi being shoved inside the car PIC: THALEFANG CHARLES
Kgosi being shoved inside the car PIC: THALEFANG CHARLES

Even though the government last month defended a number of publicised arrests carried by the Directorate of Intelligence Services (DIS) in the public eye, the latter’s director-general, Peter Magosi has promised to stop the “Hollywood style like” arrests. The DIS has been accused of staging the arrest of suspects “movie style’ in the glare of the cameras. 

Magosi, who was appearing before the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Wednesday was responding to a question from Member of Parliament (MP) for Bobonong Taolo Lucas who had asked if the DIS could not question people silently without making all the noise. “The way you guys operate I think sometimes has a potential of even contaminating the psyche of the nation. There is that drama associated with the way you work like the sirens and the guys with guns. I think there is way you can go about your work quietly without attracting too much attention,” Lucas blatantly told Magosi.

For his part Jwaneng-Mabutsane legislator, Mephato Reatile said he is concerned by the advertisement DIS makes when they do arrests. “When you arrest certain people you inform the media. This was revealed when you detained the police commissioner recently. This causes embarrassment of the highest order in an organisation which Batswana had been giving a lot of respect,” he said.

Editor's Comment
Shame on the Police!

According to a press statement from the police, unidentified armed men attacked on duty police officers at the station in the early hours of Tuesday.During the attack, the suspects stole 14 riffles, five pistols and an undisclosed number of ammunition.Although unconfirmed, it is alleged that the suspects were just carrying knives and axes, which they used to scare the men and women in uniform before they took them hostage to help themselves to...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up