Fire scare alarms GCC

No Image

The business of Gaborone City Council (GCC) yesterday came to a stand still for two and half hours after a fire scare forced council employees and some councillors to leave their offices.

Fire alarm rang at 8:00am immediately after the employees concluded their morning prayers.  The deputy mayor Kagiso Tshikega said Botswana Power Corporation (BPC) officers had managed to an identify electrical fault.  “They have identified an electrical fault at the mayor’s office and the council chambers.  The BPC officers have told us that lights at the mayor’s office and council chambers should not be switched on until the electrical people have rectified the problem,” Tshikega said.

The concerned deputy mayor said the GCC buildings need a total overhaul. He said the offices are very old.  However the council meeting started around 9:30am after electrical officers told the mayor that the full council could go on but they should not use any electrical appliances.

Editor's Comment
Are police trigger-happy?

Unfortunately, that day turned sour for those who were shopping at Sefalana Cash and Carry in Gaborone West Industrial.The exchange of fire that ensued between members of the Botswana Police Service (BPS) and robbers who had allegedly robbed a G4S cash-in-transit vehicle left two civilians dead, three robbers struck down, and an undisclosed number of citizens wounded.One deceased civilian is reportedly an employee of the Citizen Entrepreneurial...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up