Sebego to stand, attacks Letshwiti

Sebego says it has been all talk , but no action
Sebego says it has been all talk , but no action

Former Botswana Football Association president, Tebogo Sebego announced his intention to run for football’s top office this week, saying he has unfinished business after his 2016 defeat to incumbent, Maclean Letshwiti.

Sebego first announced on his Facebook page that he wants to run, and said Letshwiti must step down, as promised.

Yesterday, Sebego told Mmegi Sport that he intends to run, “subject to getting clearance from family”. He said his desire to return to Lekidi Centre, is borne out of the unfinished business he has, after he suffered a defeat to Letshwiti in 2016.

“When I lost elections in 2016, we had a manifesto that clearly outlined our agenda for the next cycle. We had prepared the constitution and an organisational structure (both of which were approved) that would enable us to drive football forward.


The documents adequately empowered the Secretariat and created a board-like set up for the NEC to focus on strategic matters.

We had developed a plan on how best to empower our lower structures, from infrastructure development to programmes.

With a huge increase of funding from FIFA, which was then increasing from P2.5 million to about P12 million (and now it will be around P30 million per year), our programmes, youth, women and national teams were on track,” he said.

He said when he left office the Zebras were on the rise at number 86, “with a replenished and much younger squad”, while the Under-17 girls and boys had improved on the continent.  “We have visibly regressed in all these areas. It’s all talk but no results proportionate to the FIFA and government investment.

Having run club football at the highest level, I feel that I have a full appreciation of the needs of our clubs and challenges they face daily.

I know the needs of the regional structures, First Division leagues and Premiership league since I have participated and managed in their space,” he said.

Sebego said moments after he announced his candidature, the BFA charged him for bringing the game of football into disrepute for comments made previously.

“I have been charged by the current president and the matter is before the BFA Appeals Committee. The NEC has appealed the BFA DC (decision), which quashed the (initial) charges,” Sebego said.

The BFA is expected to have its ‘Kang moment’ as a battle of attrition has already ensued, with the election 17 months away.

Editor's Comment
Escalating fuel prices cause panic

Nowadays it is not uncommon to purchase an item for a certain commodity and return to the shops in a week, to find the same item has gone up by a significant amount of money.Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority (BERA) last week announced yet another fuel price increase, which follows yet another increase that came into effect on March 29. Hardly two months later on May 12 boom, BERA announced yet another increase, which came into effect at a...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up