Standard 3 student electrocuted

Electric wires. PIC INTERNET
Electric wires. PIC INTERNET

FRANCISTOWN: Police in Gumare are investigating an incident in which a 10-year-old student at Etsha 13 Primary School died as a result of electrocution.

Gumare station commander, assistant superintendent Jerry Sabata said the boy was electrocuted after he touched a live wire whilst chasing a squirrel. He said that the incident took place in Etsha 13 on Friday evening.

Sabata further told this publication that on the day the boy died, he and his friends were sent to buy snacks at a local tuckshop. He said on their way to the tuckshop they saw a squirrel, which they chased.

Gumare station commander added: “The squirrel then climbed the tree and the Standard 3 boy also went up in pursuit of the animal. There were electrical cables passing close to the tree branches and the squirrel sat on it.”


He further said that the boy touched the live wires in an attempt to shake the branches to get the squirrel to fall.

Unfortunately, Sabata said, the boy got electrocuted by the live wires. The police chief indicated that the 10-year-old boy was then taken to the nearest hospital where he was later pronounced dead. He urged parents to look after their children and educate them on the dangers of live wires.

Editor's Comment
Escalating fuel prices cause panic

Nowadays it is not uncommon to purchase an item for a certain commodity and return to the shops in a week, to find the same item has gone up by a significant amount of money.Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority (BERA) last week announced yet another fuel price increase, which follows yet another increase that came into effect on March 29. Hardly two months later on May 12 boom, BERA announced yet another increase, which came into effect at a...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up