SA court denies 'husband murder-plotting' Motswana wife bail

Leshiba Oscar Tau and Merrium Leshiba
Leshiba Oscar Tau and Merrium Leshiba

Two years later, a Motswana woman Merriam Leshiba who was arrested in the Northern Cape, South Africa for allegedly conspiring to have her South African husband killed, is still languishing in jail after her latest bail application was unsuccessful.

The 41-year-old woman allegedly wanted to have her husband Leshiba Oscar Tau killed in May 2022, but her attempts were foiled by security agents. She is now facing a charge of conspiracy to commit murder. Leshiba applied for bail in terms of Section 49(g) of the Correctional Services Act, and appeared before court on June 3 and 5, and stated that she would report at Galeshewe Police Station every day if she was granted bail. She added she would be staying with a family friend in Galeshewe, Kimberley. In countering the application, the Guardian investigating officer told the court that during the time of her arrest on May 15, 2022, she was already an illegal migrant in the country as her days were depleted. He said should she be released, both the family friend and herself would be arrested. The family friend would be arrested for abating an illegal foreigner as well.

The State testified that Leshiba is not eligible for Section 49(g) because during her trial she had applied for bail several times and was denied. The judgment for that bail application was given last week in the negative. She will be appearing on trial continuation on June 21, July 5 and August 5, 2024. For her previous bail application in July 2023, Leshiba told the court that her son, who was doing Form 2, had no one to look after him since the person who was taking care of him had passed on. She said her brother, who was living with her son, committed suicide on June 22, 2023. She also bemoaned that the State is taking time as it always sets a month or two apart from the next trial dates.

Editor's Comment
Stop the children killing madness!

The incident comes on the heels of a similar one where a father murdered his two toddlers in Francistown. As we grapple with the shock and sorrow of this loss, it is essential to address the underlying issues that led to such a horrific outcome.Our hearts go out to the innocent victims, the three boys aged 13, 10, and eight who lost their lives in circumstances that defy comprehension. Their deep cuts and untimely demise have left a scar on the...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up