Economic fears heighten as Botswana diamond deposit diminish

Keynote adress by General Manager Koolatotse Koolatotse
Keynote adress by General Manager Koolatotse Koolatotse

Officials at diamond mining major, Debswana, said last week the country has mined more than half of its total diamond deposits so far.

Addressing a recent Jwaneng mine media tour, the officials revealed the country has mined over 58% of its total diamond deposits, leaving behind 42% that is currently being mined.

They said the latest data points the country to an eminent end of diamond mining, the countries principal export and biggest contributor to the gross domestic product (GDP).

Editor's Comment
Let’s get the constitutional amendment right

Their concerns highlight the need for meaningful dialogue between government and relevant stakeholders to ensure the best interests of the country are served.This was in addition to other voices from opposition politicians and civil society organisations.The stance underscores the importance of citizen participation in the constitutional amendment process. The AFM rightly assert that such weighty matters demand thorough discussions to reflect the...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up