Systems feel hard done by referee's decisions

Security System's Michael Tinye (red) competing for the ball with Segolame Boy of Township Rollers (yellow). PIC PHATSIMO KAPENG
Security System's Michael Tinye (red) competing for the ball with Segolame Boy of Township Rollers (yellow). PIC PHATSIMO KAPENG

Security Systems’ head coach, David ‘Lefty’ Botlhasitse has questioned the match officiating after his side recorded a 1-0 loss to Township Rollers in a Botswana Premier League tie played at the National Stadium on Sunday.

Botlhasitse's side was given a red card on the afternoon and feels the match referee could have handled the incident better. He feels the referee should have given his side a foul before he called a foul on Rollers’ favour. He also believes Rollers’ goal should have been called for an offside. “I think we lost the game that we could have done much better in, in terms of managing the situation. Yes, the player was fouled and went on to lash on somebody but even the referee should have managed the situation better. Leading to the card, we thought we could have gotten the foul in our favour. From where we are sitting, the goal that was scored was from an offside position. These are the things that are very critical. The game should be managed fairly. We are a small team, yes, but we need to be respected. We put a lot of effort preparing for these games,” Botlhasitse said.

It was more of a dull start until a long range effort from Walter Sande on the ninth minute and sparked what turned be an eventful first half. Two minutes later, Tawana Mbakile dribbled his way into the Rollers’ penalty area and went for the near corner but Kabelo Dambe was alert to make a save. Rollers were forced into a substitute as Dambe was ferried away due to an injury and in his place came in Bophelo Kealeboga on 24th minute. Systems were reduced to a man down after Tebogo Kopelang was shown a straight red card for a dangerous tackle on Mosha Gaolaolwe on the 30th minute. The Alarm Boys survived a scare five minutes later as Maikano Tladinyane spilled a first attempt from Segolame Boy and the forward hit the side net on the rebound. Three minutes to the break, Tshepho Keselebale saw his free-kick tipped over the bar by Kealeboga. Tladinyane pulled a double save to deny Mbatshi Elias and Boy on the fifth of 10 additional minutes. A minute later, Motsholetsi Sikele beat the keeper who was caught miles off the posts. Mogakolodi Ngele looked to make it 2-0 for Rollers but his shot was saved by the keeper just three minutes into the second half. On the 53rd minute, Elias met Obonwe Maome's cross but his attempt went wide off the post before Boy headed into the keeper’s hands moments later. Keselebale found space behind the Rollers’ defence but he was superbly denied by Kealeboga on the hour mark. Phenyo Serameng came close as headed Ngele’s free-kick from close range but the keeper did enough to parry it for a corner in the 68th minute. Five minutes later, Shaun Gcumeni had his chance off the line as Popa looked for more goals. Three minutes to full time, Thabo Rakhale centred for Ngele but the latter’s goal ward attempt was blocked for a corner kick.

Editor's Comment
Our queen: Bring home the crown

Well-wishers gathered at the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport to bid our queen farewell and wish her success as she joins other beauties from around the globe for the coveted crown. Competing in such events is nerve-wracking, and one needs to be fully prepared to stand a chance of making it as a finalist.It is not just about physical fitness; mental state matters too. Unfortunately, sometimes our queens end up facing such fierce...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up