Chiefs postpone critical AGM

Chiefs fans await soothing news following teams's relegation
Chiefs fans await soothing news following teams's relegation

Mochudi Centre Chiefs have postponed their annual general meeting (AGM) that was scheduled for tomorrow, as the two warring factions seek to find a lasting solution to the impasse.

The two camps that have been battling for the control of the club, are engaged in discussions to try and finally bring an end to the deadlock.

The stalemate has largely been blamed on the club’s relegation to the First Division. After numerous attempts to bring the two factions together, they still could not reach a common ground.  However, following the team’s relegation, the two groups appear to be moving in the same direction as both parties feel the club can no longer survive under the current situation. 

They have since asked for postponement of the case before the Lobatse High Court, as they seek to wrap up their discussions first and probably settle the matter out of court.

In the case, the faction led by the chairperson, Raymond Tsheko is accusing the other camp headed by Ramocha Tsieng of being in contempt of a court order and running a parallel executive committee.

When they appeared before court on Wednesday, the two groupings asked for postponement, which the judge acceded to, and moved the case to July 17.  “We both asked the court to give us time so that we deal with other things regarding the out of court settlement,” Tsieng said yesterday.

“Hopefully, by July 17 when we appear again, we would have wrapped up discussions and reached a settlement.”

He also confirmed that the AGM has been postponed until the matter before court has been settled so that by the time of the meeting, the two parties will have something concrete to present before the general membership. 

The general membership will also have the chance to usher in a new executive committee, which will lead the club in the lower division.

Editor's Comment
Botswana needs proper rehabilitation centres

Our sister publication The Monitor earlier this week carried a story on serious human rights abuses being meted on people who have gone for rehabilitation at a boot camp in Kgatleng. Allegations cite verbal and physical abuses, children being stripped of their dignity and shaved in front of others. While the abuse came to light after a suicide incident of a 23-year-old, Botswana Institute for Reintegration and Rehabilitation of Offenders’...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up