‘Serial house breaker’ in daring court escape

Francistown Magistrate court
Francistown Magistrate court

FRANCISTOWN: A Tonota man allegedly facing a series of charges for breaking and stealing from people's homes caused a stir for attempting to escape the law whe he appeared at Francistown Magistrate Court on Tuesday.

The accused, Isaac Simon, courted controversy shortly after he appeared for a status hearing after he left the dock.

Whilst well inside the courtroom, Simon removed a cigarette from his pocket and put it in his mouth as if to smoke, much to the amusement of attendants in the public gallery and police officers.

Before the cigarette incident, Simon attracted the attention of Magistrate Ditebogo Ntuli by needlessly laughing out loud in court.

Shortly after Simon left Courtroom 2, an incensed Ntuli instructed the court bailiff to bring him back to the courtroom to explain why he should not be held in contempt of court for his theatrics.

The bailiff shortly returned to the courtroom empty-handed. Moments later, news broke that Simon had scaled the court fence before taking to his heels.

Members of the public, along with the assistance of Security Services guards near Nswazwi and Barclays Plaza malls, apprehended Simon.

Security Services guards then led Simon back to the courtroom in handcuffs.

In court, it became clear why Simon made a daring escape. He was supposed to be arraigned in court in connection with a new case for allegedly breaking and stealing from a dwelling house. The case was registered at Tonota Police Station on Monday.

The police registered the case against Simon after he failed to give satisfactory reasons why watches, amongst other goods, were found at his residence following a police search for the 'breaking and stealing' report.

Rather than stay put, Simon attempted his daring escape under the alleged assumption that his bail would be revoked.

Editor's Comment
Government’s efforts commendable!

Since the news broke, the government made sure to work hand in hand with the South African government to assist the families of the victims. The two countries came together to help the families identify the bodies of their loved ones through DNA testing. The government also announced that they would assist families with food for mourners before the funerals.Even though the deceased persons were mostly residents of Molepolole, the government...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up