Gas cylinder explosion claims a toddler's life

Illustration of a burnt house
Illustration of a burnt house

A two-year-old toddler has succumbed to gas cylinder explosion burns after the one-roomed rented house caught fire last Friday evening in Tlokweng.

The deceased succumbed to the injuries yesterday at Princess Marina Hospital (PMH) where she was hospitalised since the tragedy. The explosion occurred when she was in company of her Zimbabwean mother and her one-year-old brother.

Confirming to be investigating the case, Tlokweng police station commander, Superintendent Unoziba Rari said the incident occurred around 5:50pm when the deceased's mother was attempting to prepare supper.

"When attempting to switch the stove on, the gas cylinder exploded and the house caught fire and burnt. The trio was rushed to PMH where the deceased succumbed to the injuries last night. The mother and the one-year-old boy had sustained serious injuries and they are currently hospitalised at the PMH," he said.


Asked what really transpired, the police boss said the mother suspects the gas cylinder was leaking.

Editor's Comment
Tighten the law on drug dealers

Our youth are perishing; their once hopeful bright future is going down the drain; all because of illicit drugs.It is very easy to blame the addict, but it is not as simple as that! Drug dealing is a very lucrative business for some shameless people amongst our society and as such they have come up with tight strategies on how to push their business.Drug addiction is bad, and while the individual on drugs sometimes might have been the one who...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up