Anglo, De Beers face billion-dollar diamond shake-up

Debswana Jwaneng Mine PIC: MORERI SEJAKGOMO
Debswana Jwaneng Mine PIC: MORERI SEJAKGOMO

Anglo American is reportedly weighing a sale of De Beers and has engaged with potential bidders, following a review of assets announced in February, leading international media and other industry analysts said yesterday.

Meanwhile, Australian mining giant, BHP, has separately moved towards a $39 billion (P540 billion) offer to fully take over Anglo American. At present, the deal includes De Beers and involves as yet unclear implications on the country’s ongoing efforts around diamonds.

The Wall Street Journal yesterday reported that Anglo was looking at selling De Beers, the diamond giant in which it holds 85% equity interest. The Government of Botswana holds the other 15%.


Editor's Comment
CoA brings sanity to DIS/DCEC long-standing feud

This decision follows the raiding of the office of the former Director General of the DCEC, Tymon Katlholo early 2022 and his staff officer by the DIS operatives who reportedly took files that they had targeted.After all back and forth arguments, the CoA has set the record straight giving an invaluable lesson to the DIS that it was no super security organ and it does not have any powers to cogently supervise other security organs including the...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up