Science, engineering related programmes gain traction

Graduates
Graduates

More tertiary learners are going into science and related fields of study such as engineering, manufacturing and construction as well as business and law than in the past.

This is according to the Human Resource Development Council (HRDC), in the 2014/2015 annual report. The report says there has been a marked decline in numbers studying humanities, social science and education as a result.

“Between 2009/10 and 2014/15 enrollments show a trend where combined science fields that is pure science, agriculture, health, science and technology with business and law categories attracted close to 70 percent of students in the tertiary sector leaving only 30 percent to social sciences, humanities and education fields,” HRDC notes. As part of its mandate to manage supply of human resource into the labour market, HRDC states that 4,834 learners enrolled for engineering, manufacturing and construction in the academic period 2012/2013 while 6,218 enrolled for the fields in 2013/2014 and the number is currently at 7,297 for the cycle under review.  Enrollment for science courses stands at 9,229 marking a decline from 2013/2014’s 10,037. In 2012/2013 the number was at 8,383.

Editor's Comment
Our queen: Bring home the crown

Well-wishers gathered at the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport to bid our queen farewell and wish her success as she joins other beauties from around the globe for the coveted crown. Competing in such events is nerve-wracking, and one needs to be fully prepared to stand a chance of making it as a finalist.It is not just about physical fitness; mental state matters too. Unfortunately, sometimes our queens end up facing such fierce...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up