While her co-accused have been remanded in custody awaiting a ruling on February 6, a traditional doctor and forth accused in the Kopong gruesome murder case, Kebaleboge Ntsebe (43) have been given less strict bail conditions.
Ntsebe who is accused alongside Oageng Letsholo (47), Leufty Kosie (48) and Outlwile Aston (49) has been on bail since last year following a two months incarceration. The quartet is accused of killing Barulaganye Aston, who was a teacher at Kopong. They allegedly acted together with a common purpose in the brutal murder of Aston who was found without some body parts. Last September Magistrate, Jobbie Moilatsimo granted Ntsebe bail on conditions that she pays P3500, provides two assurities, reports at Mogoditshane Police station and not interfere with witnesses.
Appearing before the Broadhurst Magistrate's Court yesterday, Ntsebe asked the court to soften her strict bail conditions. She wanted to stop reporting to the police everyday but just appear in court for proceedings. Even though the state prosecutor Seeletso Ookeditse opposed to the request Magistrate Moilatsimo acceded to the fourth accused’ pleas. Moilatsimo said Ntsebe can at least report to Mogoditshane police station or Metsimotlhabe once a month. “There is no reason why she should stop reporting to police rather she can check in at Mogoditshane or Metsimotlhabe every month,” Moilatshimo indicated.
As for the other accused persons, state prosecutor Ookeditse asked the court to deny the first, second,and third accused bail because the High Court has already rejected their bail before. “We have received the papers pertaining to the bail application for the accused here today before us, and I have perused the papers, and they do not speak to any changes in circumstances. And this back and forth about bail should really be put to stop, and let the accused be remanded in prison,” she highlighted. However, attorney Kagisano Tamocha representating the second accused Kosie argued that there has been a change in circumstances hence why the court should listen to the cries of the accused, and give bail. “The last time when we were here before this court we were told that, the child statement was not recorded because the child was going through counseling, but it has now come to our attention that the statement has been recorded, and this is the change in circumstance,” he said. And after questions by Tamocha, Ookeditse did not deny that the statement has been recorded.
Dr Orebonye Jonas who is the representative of the third accused, Aston argued that what the state prosecutor is saying about the court going back and forth with bail is wrong as the accused have the right to ask for bail for as many times as they can. “The argument that the accused is asking for bail ‘back and forth’ time is unjustified, as the law allows any accused person to approach the court for bail, it’s all about entitlement,” he said.
In a new turn of events Ookeditse said the magistrate should further deny the accused bail as there has been new revelations that there is interference with the witnesses for the trial, and this is said to be done by Aston. After listening to the lengthy debate between the state and the lawyers, Moilatshimo decided that the accused should come back to court on February 6 to hear their verdict.
READ FULL DETAILS ON THIS WEEK's FRIDAY MMEGI NEWSPAPER EDITION