False prophets in court

No Image

PALAPYE: Three men yesterday appeared before Magistrate Gofaone Mosweu facing a single charge of obtaining by false pretences.

Mooketsi Mokento (38), Lefoko Simako (38) and Keorapetse Warona (31) are alleged to have obtained P500,400 from Mokgadi Gabalwelwe in Palapye pretending that they would end her problems by praying for her. The incident took place on January 10, 2015.

Mokento and Warona are unemployed while Simako is an employee of the Gaborone High Court. All accused persons appeared in person and pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Investigating officer, detective Inspector Chandapiwa Mabangu did not object to the granting of bail to Mokento and Simako. 


“I am making an application before the court for the third accused to be remanded in custody. The reason being that we are still tracing the fourth suspect in the matter whom the third knows. We have also not recovered anything from him regarding this matter, so we still need to recover some of the things from him,” said Mabangu.

She stated that they have not seized anything from Mokento and Warona but said that a motor vehicle had been seized from Simako.

“We have not yet seized anything from first and last accused persons, but we have seized a motor vehicle from second accused in Selebi-Phikwe following information that he bought it for his parents using some of the proceeds of crime,” she said. When cross examining Mabangu, Mokento wanted to know why he was not being discharged from the alleged crime as nothing had been confiscated from him regarding the matter.

Mabangu explained to him that she was still investigating the matter to find out how he was involved. She said she currently had reasonable suspicion, not tangible evidence so she could not remove him from the charge sheet before she completes the investigations.

Simako however, asked the prosecution why only one car was being mentioned to have been confiscated from him while on the last mention they were said to be two. He also wanted to know the number of people whom the complainant implicated. He also pleaded with the police to return his cellphone as he uses it for work purposes.

Mabangu said they could not return his cellphone, as it was being used as part of investigations. Warona on the other hand had no questions for Mabangu but pleaded for bail.

“I am humbly asking for bail because I am a young Motswana and I have showed the police where I stay and I can give them my travelling documents and provide sureties if needed. Also the names that Mabangu said I told her are not true, I was just saying them because I was being assaulted by the police,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mosweu granted Mokento and Simako bail on condition that they bind themselves with P10,000 each, provide two sureties who shall bind themselves with P5,000. They are to report to Lobatse and Old Naledi police stations respectively every Friday during working hours and report to court whenever needed. They were also advised not to interfere with police investigations.

Warona, was remanded for 14 days to give the police a chance to wind up their investigations. The next mention is on September 29. Inspector Ditsapelo Emmanuel appeared for the state in the matter.

Editor's Comment
What about employees in private sector?

How can this be achieved when there already is little care about the working conditions of those within the private sector employ?For a long time, private sector employees have been neglected by their employers, not because they cannot do better to care for them, but because they take advantage of government's laxity when it comes to protecting and advocating for public sector employees, giving the cue to employers within the private sector...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up