Latest News

Police have dismissed information that has been circulating on social ...
The Botswana football season is all but over, after reports that all c...
Football clubs have been given three options to determine the fate of ...
Mogoditshane Police today arrested a suspected serial rapist, who was ...

Orapa follow Rollers out of CAF competition

Orapa United and Atletico Petroleos De Luamda players during the CAF confederation game at Francistown sports complex PIC. KEOAGILE BONANG
FRANCISTOWN: Orapa United endured a frustrating night after they were dumped out of the CAF Confederations Cup by visiting Atletico Petroleos De Luanda of Angola on Wednesday night.

United were beaten 2-0 in a poorly attended second leg clash played at the Francistown Sports Complex.  Going into the match United knew that they had a mammoth task if they were to overturn a 4-0 defeat they suffered in Luanda a week ago.  Last night's loss took the overall aggregate score to 6-0. 

The major highlight of the match was in the 40th-minute when the stadium floodlights went off, which delayed the match for about seven minutes.  In the first half, the visitors were content with sitting back while United, who had brought in an array of attacking players, enjoyed a large chunk of possession.

The hosts could have gained the lead in the 18th-minute through Zimbabwean forward Tendai Nyumasi's well-taken header, but Petro goalkeeper, Gerson Barros produced a stunning save. The Luanda based outfit did attempt to catch United on the break and through set pieces, but all their efforts were effectively dealt with.

Youngster, Gofaone Mabaya could have given United the lead in the 33rd minute, but his goal-bound shot hit a defender before going out of play.  Four minutes later his well taken shot

went inches wide with Barros looking well beaten.  The scoreline was 0-0 at the break. 

Orapa started the first second on a low note and ultimately conceded two goals in the first 10 minutes. The first goal came in the 51st minute when Petro striker, Ricardo Estevao intercepted a pass from Orapa goalkeeper,  Kaelo Joseph and easily hit the back of the net to give the visitors the lead. Nine minutes later, Tiago Azulao connected well with a cross from the left to double the lead for Petro. 

Orapa never threatened in the second half while the visitors were in total control and threatened on several occasions, but were let down by goal scorer, Estevao who missed sitting ducks all day. 

This is the second time in as many attempts that United have been eliminated in the first round of the Confederations Cup.  They were booted out of the competition by Eswatini side, Mbabane Swallows in their debut appearance last year.

Botswana will have no representative in the next round of the CAF club competitions, after Township Rollers were surprisingly booted out by Bantu FC of Lesotho.




One million Pula for toilet? Are you crazy?

Latest Frontpages

Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper