Tsabong Abattoir opening pushed back amidst FMD breakout
Tuesday, May 05, 2026 | 70 Views |
Dikoloti. PIC MORERI SEJAKGOMO
The abattoir, which had been scheduled to open in May, is now on hold as veterinary authorities move to contain the spread of the disease across affected zones. Acting Minister of Agriculture, Edwin Dikoloti, addressing Kgotla residents last week, said proceeding with the launch under current conditions would expose the country to significant trade risks.
“Opening an export-led and export-ready abattoir while the disease is active in containment zones is risky. It has potential for international blacklisting before the first carcass could even be processed,” he said.
“Justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.”-Lord HewartHis decision was the correct one.The move neither proves guilt nor settles the serious allegations that have brought him to the doorstep of the Regional Magistrate’s Court.It does, however, recognise a basic principle of accountable government, that a minister facing criminal charges should not remain in a position that could create even...