Nigerian fraud accused appears for bail

In the dock: Ezekannagha
In the dock: Ezekannagha

A 51-year-old Nigerian man accused of defrauding a local bank of P2 million is due before the Broadhurst Magistrate Court today for a bail hearing.

Chukwuma Ezekannagha has been remanded in custody in a case in which he faces a charge of swindling First National Bank Botswana (FNBB) last year.

Last week, Broadhurst Magistrate Taboka Slave postponed Ezekannagha’s bail application because the substantive magistrate was not available.

“The accused will be remanded in custody because the substantive magistrate is not available for bail hearing,” said Slave.   State prosecutor asked the court for an extension of Ezekannagha’s remand, saying there were new developments in the case. The state alleges that on October 20, 2014 at an FNBB branch in Gaborone, Ezekannagha, with the intention to defraud, obtained the sum of P2 million cash through false pretences. 


The accused is alleged to have claimed ownership of plots in Mogoditshane and used them as security, when in fact the said plots were not rightfully allocated to him.

Editor's Comment
What about employees in private sector?

How can this be achieved when there already is little care about the working conditions of those within the private sector employ?For a long time, private sector employees have been neglected by their employers, not because they cannot do better to care for them, but because they take advantage of government's laxity when it comes to protecting and advocating for public sector employees, giving the cue to employers within the private sector...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up