Burnt house was always a ticking bomb, victims say

The burnt house PIC: Tumelo Mouwane
The burnt house PIC: Tumelo Mouwane

LOBATSE: Two Chichi Junior Secondary School teachers, whose shared house was razed to the ground by a blaze on Sunday, submitted a report detailing numerous hazards in the structure five months before the incident, Mmegi has established.

The townhouse in Lobatse was gutted by fire that was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. A report compiled by the two teachers and submitted to school authorities, including the supplies office, five months ago lists a litany of fire hazards in the house.

The report lists electrical faults, falling ceiling, loose tiles, dysfunctional pantry doors, door locks and windows among a list of problems in the house.

Editor's Comment
A woman’s right to choose: Or is it?

Here in Botswana, we have many single-parent households, mostly female-led, so what does that suggest? That some fathers choose to ditch the responsibility of caring for their children and leave them to the ones who carry them during pregnancy to do the heavy lifting.Of course, in other dynamics, there are instances where the father wants to keep the baby and the would-be mother does not want to, hence the saying ‘whose body is it anyway’.In...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up