We wasted P60m on AFCON bid book – Khan
Mqondisi Dube | Thursday May 21, 2026 13:13
Addressing BNSC secretariat heads on Thursday morning, Khan said spending P60 million on a bid book, like what happened during the previous bid compilation, must be avoided.
'P60 million is a lot of money. Where we come from, schools have no books. So as you prepare to put together the bid, you must avoid such excessive costs,' Khan said. Last year, in April, the Molepolole North Member of Parliament successfully pushed for a motion to set up a parliamentary probe on the failed 2027 AFCON bid.
However, there has been no reported progress on the probe. The special parliamentary committee's mandate included auditing the entire tender process, comparing the bid book's costs to international trends, and determining how the funds were utilised.
Botswana is bidding to co-host the 2028 edition together with South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe. If successful, South Africa will be the main host, whilst the other three play a supporting role.