Sports

Organisers promise improved safety as Desert Race returns to Gabs

The Desert race will see thousands descend on the capital city during the weekend of June 19 to 21 for the second round of the Botswana Off Road Racing Championship (BORRC). PIC MORERI SEJAKGOMO
 
The Desert race will see thousands descend on the capital city during the weekend of June 19 to 21 for the second round of the Botswana Off Road Racing Championship (BORRC). PIC MORERI SEJAKGOMO

The race will see thousands descend on the capital city during the weekend of June 19 to 21 for the second round of the Botswana Off Road Racing Championship (BORRC).

Race director, Moin Ahmad, says organisers are fully aware of the spectator chaos and congestion that had previously overshadowed the event, particularly during its years in Jwaneng.

The race has historically attracted large crowds, with spectators often gathering dangerously close to racing routes, crowding viewing points and moving unpredictably between stages in pursuit of better views of the action.

Past editions have also faced criticism over crowd management, while the 2023 fire incident in Jwaneng, which destroyed several spectator vehicles, exposed the risks surrounding poorly controlled spectator areas.

Ahmad said BORRC has used previous lessons to reshape this year’s event as the race returns to the capital city for the first time in years.

“We want to bring back the old desert race feeling without losing control of the event,” Ahmad noted.

He added that the decision to relocate the race from Jwaneng was not made lightly, but organisers felt the event had become too repetitive and needed a fresh direction.

“It was a tough decision. Jwaneng did become home and convenient, but the routes have been becoming scarce and the race not appealing as much because it became the same thing, same place, same experience for a long time. “Sometimes convenience gets old,' Ahmad added.

BORRC believes the move to Gaborone offers greater accessibility for fans, sponsors and teams, while also helping revive interest in motorsport among younger audiences.

“With the current economic climate, bringing the race closer to the people and making it more accessible to all was key,” he said.

The National Agriculture Showgrounds was selected as the new base because of its accessibility and ability to better accommodate spectators without severely disrupting normal city operations.

“The exit and return routes are very accessible, with almost no interruption to the city’s traffic or normal activities. The event can continue seamlessly with widespread areas for spectators to enjoy the event,' said Ahmad.

The organisers also plan to modernise the spectator experience through interactive viewing maps, virtual live leaderboards accessible on mobile phones and expanded live streaming coverage aimed at helping fans follow the race safely and efficiently.

Ahmad said the goal is to revive the atmosphere many longtime motorsport followers associate with the famous “Mantshwabisi” era, when Botswana’s desert race became known for brutal terrain, massive crowds and endurance racing at its toughest.

“This year is about bringing the old desert race feeling back within the fans, drivers and teams,” he said.

“The crowds of spectators, the toughest challenging terrain for the drivers and navigators and all the glory of being crowned the Kings and Queens of the Desert 1000.”

Ahmad added that BORRC ultimately wants to position Botswana as a serious destination for international off-road motorsport.

“BORRC is targeting to bring a world-class event to Botswana. This event in Gaborone will demonstrate our capacity as a country and our diverse terrain and resources to host one of the best rallies in the world,' he further said.