GU, Chiefs duel ends in stalemate

Gaborone United (GU) defender, Osego Gaotewe clears the ball out of danger with an overhead kick during his side's 1- 1 draw with Mochudi Center Chiefs on Saturday night. PIC: KENEDY RAMOKONE
Gaborone United (GU) defender, Osego Gaotewe clears the ball out of danger with an overhead kick during his side's 1- 1 draw with Mochudi Center Chiefs on Saturday night. PIC: KENEDY RAMOKONE

A poorly attended beMOBILE Premiership game between Gaborone United and Mochudi Centre Chiefs ended in a 1-1 draw at the National Stadium on Saturday night.

Second half goals from Benson Shilongo and Mara Moloi handed one-point apiece for the two giants. Gaborone United strikers; Hendrick Moyo and Appiah Bismark made their debut for the side while former Extension Gunners wingback Katlego ‘Sissoko’ Keobake won the man-of-the-match award for the second time in a row.

The game started on a high note with GU almost finding an opener within two minutes into the game. Mpho Kgaswane missed the opportunity to finish Moyo’s cross on the left side.

Less than a minute later, Chiefs also made their attempt at goal but Goitseone Phoko was too alert, saving Lemponye Tshireletso’s shot from the far left.

At that point, the game was getting intense, with both teams seemingly looking for an early goal.

On the quarter hour mark, Rafael Nthwane saved Shilongo’s wonderful header. Magosi’s first real chance at goal came on the 25th minute when Pontsho Moloi dribbled past the defender on the left side. He passed the ball into the box, with Nthwane saving Mara’s tap in an attempt again. Chiefs were all over their opponents and just before the break, Tendai Nyumasi failed to capitalise from Pontsho’s pass and put the ball wide of the goal posts. The game went to the break with nothing between the two sides.

From the break, both teams came back with hoping to inspire a goal that will break the deadlock. The first real chance of the second half came on the 50th minute and Moyo failed to exploit a one-on-one chance and his effort went over the cross bar. GU’s Keobake was having a good game, blocking all of Pontsho’s moves on the left side. On the 70th minute, Shilongo broke the deadlock and helped his team take the lead for the first time in the game. The ball initially came from Ntesang Simanyana’s breakthrough pass and it reached Moyo who dribbled past the keeper and put it in the way of Shilongo to finish the move. 

Approaching the end of the game GU made substitutes and the team became vulnerable at the back with Chiefs now taking the game to their opponents as an effort to grab an equaliser.

Mara finally saved Chiefs in the dying minutes of the game after a mix-up between the GU defence and the goalkeeper. Both teams managed to salvage a point and the score ended 1-1.

In a post match interview, Chiefs coach Mike Sithole said he was happy with the result because they played two games in a space of five days. “We were a bit fatigued but if we were playing at home, we would have been given an ample time to prepare for GU,” he said. Sithole noted that Chiefs are a team to beat because they are the defending champions, therefore, it is not going to be easy for them.

For his part, GU head coach Rahman Gumbo said Chiefs had advantage because they have more experienced players than GU. “We lost the lead in the dying minutes because Chiefs were given too much respect, some people made sure that they got a point from us,” he said.



Gaborone United: Goitseone Phoko, Hendrick Moyo, Katlego Koobake, Thabiso Khunwane, Gaopatwe Seosenyeng, Osego Gaotewe (Edwin Olerile), Thato Ogopotse, Ntesang Simanyana (Kabo Rasuping), Benson Shilongo, Alphonse Modisaotsile, Mpho Kgaswane (Appiah Bismark).

Chiefs: Rafael Nthwane, Mpho Kgaswane, Ontse Ntesa, Kaelo Kgaswane, Keabetswe Jenamiso, Lesego Galenamotlhale, Pontsho Moloi (Onalethata Tshekiso), Tendai Nyumasi, Keaketswe Moloi, Dirang Moloi, Lemponye Tshireletso

Caution: Galenamotlhale, Thato Ogopotse, Osego Gaotewe.

Editor's Comment
Escalating fuel prices cause panic

Nowadays it is not uncommon to purchase an item for a certain commodity and return to the shops in a week, to find the same item has gone up by a significant amount of money.Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority (BERA) last week announced yet another fuel price increase, which follows yet another increase that came into effect on March 29. Hardly two months later on May 12 boom, BERA announced yet another increase, which came into effect at a...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up