Forest Maintain Dominance Over Chiefs

Gunners (in black and white) and Black Forest players vying for the ball PIC: KENNEDY RAMOKONE
Gunners (in black and white) and Black Forest players vying for the ball PIC: KENNEDY RAMOKONE


The game was played under floodlights at Molepolole Sports Complex.

Magoleng have won three of the last six clashes between the two sides and the latest win moves them to 15th position just two points behind Chiefs.

The Mankgodi-based side did not have pre-match warm-up after arriving late for the match.

The team bus had a puncture and they arrived just 30 minutes before kick off while Chiefs missed head coach Itumeleng Duicker who is serving suspension.

However, Forest had the first chance at goal as early as the second minute. Wellington Maposa took a shot from outside the box and Chiefs goalkeeper made a save.

Arnold Mampori also tried from outside the box but his effort was easily dealt with by Black Forest goalkeeper.

Chiefs then took control of the game and were unlucky not get an opener in the 29th minute.

Terrence Mandaza freed himself from his marker, tried to lob the ball over advancing Kelame Tladinyane but hit the cross bar.

In the 36th minute, Bakang Leshona on the right wing, centred for Lebopo Moremi but was denied by Tladinyane from just inside the box.

Against the run of play, on the brink of half time, Gobona Ramotlhwa found Majafi unmarked at the far post, and the attacker tapped in to give his side the 1-0 lead with which they went to break.

Five minutes into the second half, Mampori had a shot from the free kick, but went straight to the keeper. Chiefs put numbers forward in search of an equaliser but the Forest’s defence remained resolute. Substitute, Senatla Molefe was brought inside the box on the 71st minute, but the referee waved away Chiefs’ penalty appeal. Seven minutes later, Maposa nodded a cross by Ramotlhwa but was adjourned for offside.

With 10 minutes to time, Siamisang Kgosipula had to make a double save to keep his side in the game. Maposa had the first attempt parried back in to play, Majafi on the rebound went for power than placement but his shot was parried over the bar.

“It is sad because they had one chance and that was it. We had a lot of chances but we failed to score. I knew they were going to sit back in the second half, we tried to add more attackers but we failed to score, it was just not our day,” Chiefs’ stand-in coach, Zaahid Jalal said after the match.

His Forest counterpart,  Reetsang Letlole was happy to get maximum points despite having troubles before the match. “This was according to our approach. They knew we did not have a warm-up, so we decided to have the first 15 minutes as our  warm-up. It was difficult to motivate the players but we played well today,” he said.


The Teams

Forest:  Tladinyane, Katlego Mmolotsi, Goabaone Mogorosi, Andrew Shadrek, Oreneile Motanzi, Thero Ntau (Maikano Maikano), Mogomotsi Kerebotswe, Maposa, Donald Botshoma,  Ramotlhwa,  Majafi

Chiefs:  Kgosipula, Maatla Magosha, Motseoatile Elijah (Mandla Mgadla), Mampori, Moabi Sebele, Elvis Meleka, Leshona, Lebogang Jabari (Senatla Molefe), Mandaza (Phenyo Molefe), Morris Ruzivo, Moremi

Cautions: Majafi, Maposa

Forest 1 (Majafi 45th)

Chiefs 0

Editor's Comment
Escalating fuel prices cause panic

Nowadays it is not uncommon to purchase an item for a certain commodity and return to the shops in a week, to find the same item has gone up by a significant amount of money.Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority (BERA) last week announced yet another fuel price increase, which follows yet another increase that came into effect on March 29. Hardly two months later on May 12 boom, BERA announced yet another increase, which came into effect at a...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up