Chiefs Overcome Gunners

Mogomotsi Mokoka PIC: Keoagile Bonang
Mogomotsi Mokoka PIC: Keoagile Bonang

FRANCISTOWN: Mochudi Centre Chiefs continued their dominance over the Lobatse giants, Extension Gunners in a beMOBILE Premiership encounter played at the new Francistown stadium on Saturday night.

The visitors won 1-0 in a match that attracted 12178 spectators. It was touted as the biggest match of the weekend, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment.

Though the supporters looked lively, both sides struggled to keep the ball on the ground, a tradition they are known for. However, Chiefs did string in few good passes. Magosi’s attacking midfielder, Tendai Nyumasi rolled back his years at ECCO City Greens with a breath-taking man of the match performance. He exhibited impressive creativity in the park and was well complemented by Senatla Molefhe and Lemponye Tshireletso.

In the past two seasons, Chiefs had dominated their league fixtures against Gunners; winning two matches, drawing one and losing one.

Many would have thought that a change of venue would bring change of fortunes to the ‘Peleng boys’ but they (Gunners) were genuinely embarrassed over the weekend. Gunners’ players looked out of sorts in the entire proceedings. In fact, Gunners will count themselves lucky to have lost by a solitary goal.

The Peleng boys were very fragile at the back. Their frailty at the back can best be summed up by the number of fouls they committed in their half. Out of six fouls, they committed four. 

Even their goalie Lame Tladinyane had to deal with four very threatening situations in the match, while Chiefs keeper Raphael Nthwane was more of a spectator.

Mapantsula talisman, Jomo Moatlhaping looked like he was on holiday. Even Gunners coach Pio Paul made a rare admission after the match that his charges were poor.

It was Chiefs who had a first attempt at goal with 10 minutes played, when winger Molefhe cleverly beat his marker in the goal area but goalkeeper Lame Tladinyane came off his line to block the ball.

Nyumasi shot over the bar with Tladinyana to beat just 15 minutes into the match, after a neat exchange with Molefhe.

Gunners only had one notable chance in the first half when Moatlhaping rose above his marker for a header in the 25th minute, but the ball went slightly over the bar. A minute later, striker Thatayaone Ramatlapeng nearly gave Chiefs the lead but his well-taken shot hit the lower right with Tladinyane well beaten.

Chiefs found the decisive goal in the 33rd minute when Tshireletso beat a hapless Tladinyane with a low drive shot. Letsweletse Seane’s poor defensive header fell on the path of Tshireletso who coolly controlled the ball once, before he unleashed his shot.

Just before the break, Keaketswe Mara Moloi fumbled with the goalie to beat after Nyumasi set him up.

Early in the second half, in an attempt to find the equaliser, Gunners introduced Boitshoko Zikhale for Mogomotsi Mokoka who had a very dull match.  However, the former never came to the party apart from a long-range shot. 

In the second half, Chiefs continued to dominate the proceedings but were wasteful upfront. With 16 minutes into the second stanza of the match Molefhe missed a sitter after an enterprising Nyumasi released him. Tshireletso could have completed his brace in the referee’s optional time after he was released from the middle by Nyumasi, but was denied by an advancing Tladinyana who did well to block the ball.  Gunners seldom entered Magosi’s goal area in the second half.


The line-ups:

Gunners: Tladinyane, Katlego Mothibi, Mosimanegape Ntwaetsile, Desire Bafana (Emmanuel Machinya-81) Amos Godiriwang, Kelelo Kgosimore, Seane, Mogomotsi Mokoka (Boitshoko Zikhale-57), Jomo Moatlhaping, Monageng Thaele.

Chiefs: Nthwane, Mpho Kgaswane, Ontse Ntesa, Kaelo Kgaswane, Lesego Molemogi, Molefhe (Onalethata Tshekiso 81), Keaketswe Mara Moloi, Thatayaone Ramatlapeng (Dirang Moloi-85), Lemponye Tshireletso.

Editor's Comment
Escalating fuel prices cause panic

Nowadays it is not uncommon to purchase an item for a certain commodity and return to the shops in a week, to find the same item has gone up by a significant amount of money.Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority (BERA) last week announced yet another fuel price increase, which follows yet another increase that came into effect on March 29. Hardly two months later on May 12 boom, BERA announced yet another increase, which came into effect at a...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up