More jail time for suspected soldier killer gang

Behind bars: The suspects during a previous mention
Behind bars: The suspects during a previous mention

Six suspects believed to be gang members who have been terrorising residents of Mogoditshane, were yesterday further remanded in custody on a single count related to the murder of a soldier and two counts of robbery.

Aubrey Gobonwang (24), Mosimanegape Khumalo (22), Botlhe Seadimo (22), Ithuteng Lucas (18), Boitshoko Boitshoko (18), Ontiretse Sethole (21) appeared before Broadhurst Magistrate Babedi Mothuba where they were subsequently further remanded as requested by the prosecution.

The six are alleged to have, on the night of March 13, 2015 at Nkoyaphiri ward in Mogoditshane village, acted jointly and murdered Ontuetse Masaseng.

They are further alleged to have robbed Kenneth Tozvireva of a wallet containing the sum of P350.00 and also robbed Batswana Motsumi of a cell phone worth P900.00 and P280.00 cash, offences which they are accused  to have  violently committed.


The two charges of robbery were only added yesterday when the charge sheet was amended.

When remanding the six, Magistrate Mothuba said she needed time to read the prosecution’s responding papers opposing bail for the six accused.

“I have read the accused papers on why they should be given bail, and the prosecution has just filed their responding papers now. I haven’t had time to go through them,” she said. Earlier on prosecuting officer, Sub Inspector Tsogo Rantopa requested that the accused be remanded in custody, as investigations were still ongoing and a post mortem report was still awaited.

Rantopa also said more charges had been added to charge sheet and the files were yet to be assessed by the Directorate of Public Prosecutions. He also requested that the accused’s pleas for all the charges be reserved in the meantime.

“The accused should be remanded in custody because they are facing serious charges and for their bail application we would also need to call the Investigating Officer to the stand. As such we oppose their bail for now,” he said. Rantopa further said the prosecution was only served with the accused’s grounds for bail late Friday and there had been insufficient time to respond.

The suspected gang members had attempted to apply for bail during their last mention and were told to file proper documents clearly stating their reasons.

The bail ruling has been set for April 27, 2015.

Editor's Comment
What about employees in private sector?

How can this be achieved when there already is little care about the working conditions of those within the private sector employ?For a long time, private sector employees have been neglected by their employers, not because they cannot do better to care for them, but because they take advantage of government's laxity when it comes to protecting and advocating for public sector employees, giving the cue to employers within the private sector...

Have a Story? Send Us a tip
arrow up