Banners
Banners

Latest News

Figures released by Statistics Botswana today show that inflation in A...
Tebogo Leepile, a final year PhD Candidate in Integrated Studies in La...
Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) activist Macdonald Peloetletse could f...
Senior officials from Botswana and Zambia are working with Zimbabwe on...
Banners
Banners

Promoter wants 70% of local content on radio

GOITSEMODIMO KAELO
Seagile is calling on broadcasters to give local musicians a bigger share of airplay
As a music promoter, Gilbert ‘PP wa Pimp’ Seagile is pushing for local content to get 70% airplay on local radio stations.

He is also decrying the huge sums of money Copyright Society of Botswana (COSBOTS) pays to foreign artists whose works enjoy more airplay.

‘PP wa Pimp’ as Seagile is commonly know has embarked on a campaign, calling on broadcasters to give local musicians a bigger share of airplay than their foreign counterparts.

He is saying the current quota of 60/40, whereby foreign content receives 60% airplay and local songs share the remaining 40% is outdated and is not working for the local creative industry.

“We are losing a lot of money to outside artists because their music is dominating the local airwaves. The 60/40 quota was good in the past when RB1 began because we did not have enough local content to feed it. There were a few recording artists as such the station survived through foreign content. But now we are saying let us be given a bigger share of 70%,” said Seagile. He added that with proper exposure, the creative industry could contribute more to the gross domestic product (GDP) in the future. 

According to Seagile, the local creative industry has evolved overtime and has produced enough content to feed all the local radio stations.

However, he indicated that as it is, the industry remains stagnant because there

Banners
is no room for exposure. He argued that currently the creative industry’s contribution to the GDP is higher than Agriculture but does to not get the respect it deserves.

“Our neighbours are giving 90% to locals and only 10% to foreign content. This means they are empowering their people and creating sustainable jobs. It means only 10% of the money paid as royalties is going out of the country while 90% remains in the country for the local artists to further develop,” he added.

He indicated that they have scheduled a meeting on January 15, where industry players who include artists, promoters and producers will have further discussion on the issue and formulate a position paper to be presented to stakeholders like COSBOTS, broadcasters and the regulator, the Botswana Communications Regulatory Authority.

“There has been a blame game amongst the three, so we want to know the truth and come up with solutions,” he explained. He continued to say that currently the country has a few well known artists such as Franco, Vee Mampeezy, Charma gal, Dramaboi and ATI who are dominant features at various shows but when they are unavailable, promoters are sceptical to hold shows with a line up full of lesser known artists.



Lifestyle

Banners
Banners ?>

Selefu

Botswana deriorating labour relations

Latest Frontpages

Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper
Banners
Adana Escort Adıyaman Escort Afyon Escort Ağrı Escort Aksaray Escort Amasya Escort Ankara Escort Antalya Escort Antep Escort Ardahan Escort Artvin Escort Aydın Escort Balıkesir Escort Bartın Escort Batman Escort Bayburt Escort Bilecik Escort Bingöl Escort Bitlis Escort Bolu Escort Burdur Escort Bursa Escort Çanakkale Escort Çankırı Escort Çorum Escort Denizli Escort Diyarbakır Escort Düzce Escort Edirne Escort Erzincan Escort Elazığ Escort Erzurum Escort Eskişehir Escort Giresun Escort Gümüşhane Escort Hakkari Escort Hatay Escort Iğdır Escort Isparta Escort İskenderun Escort İstanbul Escort İzmir Escort İzmit Escort Karabük Escort Karaman Escort Kars Escort Kastamonu Escort Kayseri Escort Kıbrıs Escort Kırıkkale Escort Kırklareli Escort Kırşehir Escort Kilis Escort Kocaeli Escort Konya Escort Kütahya Escort Malatya Escort Manisa Escort Maraş Escort Mardin Escort Mersin Escort Muğla Escort Muş Escort Nevşehir Escort Niğde Escort Ordu Escort Osmaniye Escort Rize Escort Sakarya Escort Samsun Escort Siirt Escort Sinop Escort Sivas Escort Şırnak Escort Tekirdağ Escort Tokat Escort Trabzon Escort Tunceli Escort Urfa Escort Uşak Escort Van Escort Yalova Escort Yozgat Escort Zonguldak Escort Alaçatı Escort Aliağa Escort Alsancak Escort Bornova Escort Buca Escort Çeşme Escort Çiğli Escort Gaziemir Escort Karşıyaka Escort fethiye escort iskenderun escort iskenderun escort iskenderun escort iskenderun escort iskenderun escort