Press Statement: Postponement of the Hamptons Jazz Festival
1. On behalf of The Hamptons Jazz Festival, its organisers and sponsors, we wish to apologize to the public that we have had to postpone the show to a date in the near future to be advised.
2. On 09th February 2018, The Hamptons was given permission to use musical instruments during the event on 24 March 2018 from 11 am to 6 am on the following day.
3. It is on the basis of this permission that The Hamptons engaged over 15 artists comprising of both International and Local artists to perform at the festival on 24 March 2018. The artist line-up was based on the number of hours we were allocated.
4. Without being afforded any hearing or audience, on 20th February 2018 we received a letter dated 20th February 2018 from the Gaborone City Council, revoking the permission of 09th February 2018.
5. In terms of this revocation, we were advised to approach the Ministry of Youth Empowerment, Sports and Culture Development (MYSC) for assistance. MYSC sent us back to Gaborone City Council (GCC) stating that they are not the permit issuing authority in relation to noise and nuisance.
6. We went back to GCC on the advise of MYSC and were referred to the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development (MLGRD), before we were sent back once again to GCC
7. Meanwhile, on 20th March 2018 the GCC in response to our fresh application gave us a permit for 2pm to 12 midnight further cutting short the hours of the show. We then went to MYSC for extension and this was declined.
8. As a result, we are compelled to postpone the event because the hours permitted for the show cannot accommodate our artist line up.
9. We have engaged our attorneys, Ramalepa Attorneys to assist us with seeking a permit to allow the show to run from 11 am to 6 am the following morning and at the same time we are in talks with all the artists in our line up to agree on a mutually convenient date within the month of April 2018 and we shall keep you posted.
10. To those who have already bought tickets, please do not despair as the show will indeed come to be and you will be advised of the exact date thereof. Tickets are still available for sale for those who still wish to buy while we work tirelessly to ensure that the venue, date and the times of the show are confirmed.