Latest News

Despite the Umbrella for Democratic Change’s (UDC) attempts to s...
The Parliamentary Committee on Finance and Estimates has rejected a cl...
Following a court ruling that dented Kgosi Kgafela Kgafela II and his ...
A savingram from the Director of Public Service Management Goitseone M...

Chiefs Held By Weary TAFIC

Ototeng Dintwa (back to camera) and his colleagues could not breakdown TAFIC PIC: KAGISO OKATSWITSE
Former league champions, Mochudi Centre Chiefs extended their winless streak to five games, as they played to a goalless draw against TAFIC at the UB Stadium on a scorching Saturday afternoon.

Chiefs have not tasted victory in the last five games as they lost three times and drew twice. On the other side, TAFIC covered more than 2,000 kilometres in a space of four days as they played Security Systems midweek at the Lobatse Sports Complex. The team returned to Francistown on Thursday and travelled back to the south for their Chiefs clash on Friday.

On the pitch, Matjimenyenga did not show any signs of heavy legs, as they took the game to their opponents from the first minute. In the eighth minute, Mbatshi Elias skied his volley from inside the box while four minutes later, Kerapetse Mosimanekgosi shot straight into the keeper’s hands from a free kick. As the game proceeded, Magosi started to find their feet with skipper, Lesego Galenamotlhale orchestrating the team’s play. In the 35th minute, Thato Kebue was unlucky to have his shot blocked by the defence when the keeper was found wanting from a corner kick. With two minutes to the break, Galenamotlhale tried his luck from outside the box, but his effort did not trouble Lame Bosekeng. The teams went to the break goalless. 

After the break, both teams sought the opening goal but were let down by their own mistakes inside the final third. In the 74th minute, Magosi broke with a counter attack led by substitute, Thatayaone Ramatlapeng. The winger outpaced his markers, but could not connect with on running Lesego Lubinda. With eight

minutes to time, Elijah tried Noah Maposa with a low drive from outside the box but the keeper collected while at the other end Galenamotlhale’s effort was saved by Bosekeng. Chiefs nearly got the maximum points in referee’s additional time, as Goitseone Legopelo put a teasing cross which was met by Lubinda from the blind spot but the attacker failed to keep it down in what was the last action of the game.

“We missed a couple of chances. We could have taken them and won the game. We are still a young team. It’s the boys’ first time in the premier league and we would go back to training and try to work on taking chances as they come,” TAFIC coach, Elijah Chinyemba said. Chiefs’ assistant coach, Pontsho Moloi drew positives from the game despite failing to collect the maximum points. “We did not play well in the last third. We were solid at the back hence the 0-0, which is a positive. But we need to take our chances. We can’t go around crying for one chance, we should create more,” he said.


The Teams:

Chiefs: Noah Maposa, Goitseone Legopelo, Thato Kebue, Keabetswe Jenamiso, Gosegonna Molapisi, Lawrence Majawa, Nelson Moreetsi (Lesego Lubinda), Lesego Galenamotlhale, Botshelo Lorato, Ototeng Dintwa (Thatayaone Ramatlapeng), Tendai Nyamadzawo (Khumoetsile Kufingwa)

TAFIC: Lame Bosekeng, Motseoatile Elijah, Molebatsi Kgangangwane, Kgakgamatso Ramaphosa, Kerapetse Mosimanekgosi, Mooketsi Mampori, Obakeng Gaanabeng, Kawashi Makai, Mbatshi Elias, Kemoreng Batisani Cautions: Gaanabeng, Jenamiso, Nyamadzawo, Makai




Flogging a dead horse

Latest Frontpages

Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper