News

Kazungula man loses P134k to 'KYC' scammers

Cash
 
Cash

Confirming the incident, Peter Masole (WHO IS HE???) said part of the money was withdrawn on Friday, whilst the remainder was withdrawn on Saturday.

Masole said the victim received a phone call from an individual claiming to be from his bank, requesting that he provide his personal banking details so they could assist him in updating his KYC information.

“He said he was instructed to share a One-Time Password (OTP) from a message he had just received, and he complied, only to later receive notifications that money had been withdrawn from his account,” Masole said.

Police have since launched investigations to trace the suspect(s) and recover the stolen money.

Masole further appealed to members of the public to remain vigilant and avoid sharing confidential banking information over the phone. He advised customers to visit their respective banks in person whenever they require assistance with banking services.

“I am disappointed that despite our endless efforts to sensitise members of the public about these types of scammers, our efforts continue to fall on deaf ears,” said a disheartened Masole.