Latest News

The Sebina brothers will get back their properties and company documen...
Parliament has rejected a motion that requested government to increase...
Ramatlabama police are battling to contain a rise in the number of cas...
First Lady Neo Masisi has challenged the Ministry of Defence, Justice ...

City Greens Jump Out Of Relegation Zone

Bokamoso Matlhako of Maphatshwa making a tackle on Thapediso Motsewame of City Greens during the Debswana first division north league game at Tagala grounds in Francistown PIC KEOAGILE
FRANCISTOWN: Francistown City Greens secured a vital goalless draw over the weekend to leap out of the relegation zone in a less frenetic encounter against Maphatshwa at Tagala Primary School.

Maphatshwa, who are bottom in the league, have already been relegated from the Debswana First Division North (FDN) league.

Following their weekend league encounter, City Greens climbed to position 10 above Selebi-Phikwe side Real Movers. Movers dropped to position 11 after recording a heavy loss on Saturday against Calendar Stars in Francistown. Both sides are on 20 points, but are separated by goal difference.

It was City Greens who had better opportunities on Saturday. The hosts were fairly dominant in all departments for the entire proceedings. The visitors were content with sitting at the back and soaking up the pressure. They mainly relied on counter attacks to go forward.

The first real chance in the match came in the 26th minute when former TAFIC forward Tlhagiso Mathews who joined City Greens in January released Thabiso Bante with a pin point pass.

Bante who had a disappointing match sent his shot wide with the goalkeeper the only man to beat.

In the 32rd minute winger Thapediso Motsewame wasted another fine chance for City Greens. Instead of easily converting, he sent his shot over the bar after he was given space in the box. Seconds later, Bante went close with a diving header but was denied by goalie

Onkamogetse Ditebego.

Maphatshwa only had one notable chance to score in the first half, in the 44th minute. Tumelo Mpote’s close header was parried off play by the host goalie Tumelo Morupisi who was a mere spectator in the first stanza of the match. Mothusi Ramogakaladi’s side looked liked an improved side in the second half although they hardly tested Morupisi.

Ditebogo was called into action by Motsewame in the 52nd minute through a long range shot. The shot-stopper did well to parry the ball out for a corner. Motsewame had been set up by Mathews through a back heel.

Maphatshwa nearly scored in the 66th and 71st minutes respectively. On both occasions, they hit the woodwork through Refilwe Seseko and Pako Botshelo respectively.

City Greens had their penalty appeals turned down with five minutes left to play after defender Phetso Sebara appeared to have brought down Motsewame inside the box. Both teams wrapped up the dying minutes by defending deep.


The Teams:

City Greens: Morupisi, Goitseone Tshupetso, Ngoni Dongwana, Keiketile Kgetse, Atamelang Mongadi (Thobogang Monnawapula), Atholang Jeremane, Editor Otladitswe, Tlhagiso Mathews, Bante (Jaffel Zinyuka), Motsewame, Pontsho Sephuto,

Maphatshwa: Ditebogo,Onkemetse Mooketsi, Gofaone Mpotsang, Sebara, Oratile Mmasa, Segolame Pusoetsile, Eric Poifo, Mopati Bosekeng, Mpote, Eric Palagabedi.




Go latlhegelwa ke ditlhopho ka tsela e sa tlhaloganyesegeng

Latest Frontpages

Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper