Vice President Mokgweetsi Masisi has dismissed claims that he benefited P3 million from the National Petroleum Fund (NPF).
Masisi broke the silence on the issue at the Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) candidate launch for Ralekgetho ward in the Moshupa-Manyana constituency in the village over the weekend.
Masisi, who is also the area MP, but was initially not scheduled to attend, landed in Ralekgetho to assure his constituents that he did not benefit from the P3 million he is alleged to have stolen.
Masisi told the rally launching the BDP candidate, Omphile Motlhajwe that those peddling the issue would not succeed in implicating him.
“People are talking of money being stolen. If the money was taken, it will be found and we should not make it an issue. I did not benefit any P3 million as it has been claimed. They can do their investigations and my name will come out clean,” he said.
Last week in court, Kgosietsile Ngakaagae, the attorney representing Bakang Seretse, Botho Leburu and Kenneth Kerekang in a money laundering case involving P250 million from the NPF revealed that Masisi benefited P3 million from the fund.
“We have evidence to that effect. They too, are naturally aware of that fact. The Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) has benefited from the alleged proceeds of crime.
The head of the DIS [Directorate of Intelligence and Security, Isaac Kgosi] has benefited from the alleged proceeds of crime. Senior politicians, including Cabinet Ministers have benefitted from the alleged proceeds of crime. Senior government officials have benefitted from the alleged proceeds of crime,” Ngakaagae claimed.
The Office of the President on Friday also dismissed the allegations.
“While we are reluctant to comment on allegations emanating from a matter that is currently before the courts, we wish to reassure
Meanwhile, just about 800 metres from where the BDP launch was, the Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) was also launching its candidate Johnson Monare.
All the speakers made reference to the poor conditions the settlement is in while BDP were “stealing” money.
UDC president, Duma Boko who rebutted claims by some that he could be one of those who benefited from the fund promised to prosecute all those who are involved when his party takes over power in 2019.
“Everybody who took public funds for personal use will be brought to book.
Boko says once the UDC assumes power in 2019, they will ensure that everyone who took public funds for personal use is brought to book.
“We will give the BDP three months to return all they would have stolen including from the NPF and the Botswana Defence Force. This is a promise and mark my words on this,” he said.
Boko said it has since come to light that the alleged misappropriated funds from the NPF is not P250 million as reported but more.
“Masisi will have to bring back the P3 million he is said to have received as well as all monies which he may have received before and after the funds from the NPF,” he said.
The by-election will be held on March 24. The council seat became vacant following the death of their area councillor Gofentseone Rakala who was from the BDP.
Also contesting in the area is Alliance for Progressives (AP) who will be represented by Mothusiemang Malwetsi.