Latest News

The Ministry of Basic Education says it has noted with grave concern s...
The world's most elite young entrepreneurs and game-changers will conv...
When it comes to contradictions or being an astute leader, the public ...
Last week President Mokgweetsi Masisi fell few words short of openly ...

Man in custody after sexual harassment turns into office rape

Local Police are grappling with increasingly violent criminals
PALAPYE: Letlhakane police have a 26-year-old man in custody, after a case of repeated sexual harassment allegedly turned into a rape of a colleague during working hours. Letlhakane station commander, Superintendent Michael Maphephu said the victim reported that she had spurned the accuseds proposals several times.

“On Tuesday around 3pm, the accused went to the victim’s office and asked her if she was still not going to accept his proposals to which he was again turned down,” Maphephu said.

“He however sexually harassed her before taking a blanket that was in the office, laying it down and raping the victim on it.” The accused will make his first appearance in court this week charged with one count of rape.

The station commander advised women to report sexual harassment to their superiors in order to nip abuse in the bud. “Sexual harassment does exist in workplaces, but often it is ignored until it gets out of hand, which was the case here,” he said. Meanwhile, residents in Orapa are still coming to terms with Tuesday’s horrific events in which a 44-year-old police sub Inspector was shot dead by a 29-year-old wanted criminal,

who later turned the gun on himself. Police spokesperson, assistant police commissioner Dipheko Motube said the wanted criminal was fleeing from police who spotted him during a manhunt. The suspect was wanted for attempted murder, assault and theft of firearm. “On Sunday, the culprit fled from the police after it was discovered that he had assaulted his girlfriend. Later on, he went to one of his neighbours and stole a firearm. “When the owner chanced upon him, the suspect shot him causing some serious injuries. “The owner of the fire arm has since been hospitalised,” Motube said. After those incidents, the police launched a manhunt and on Tuesday spotted the culprit at Makolwame settlement near Orapa.

“Unfortunately the culprit saw the police first and he opened fire, shooting one of the officers, who died on the spot. The suspect then shot himself.”




BCL Closure

Latest Frontpages

Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper Todays Paper