In 1895, Kgosi Sebele, together with Dikgosi Khama III, Bathoen and Lentswe surrendered portions of their land for the construction of Cecil Rhodes' new railway from Mafikeng to Bulawayo.
In Sebele's case this land stretched from today's Mogoditshane to the Tlokweng Border Post, an area which included the land on which he had earlier allowed the Batlokwa to settle.
When Proclamation No. 12 of 1905 gave effect to this transfer, the British Administration arranged with Kgosi Sebele to re-settle the Batlokwa elsewhere in the Kweneng.
But the Batlokwa preferred to pay rent to the company for their portion of that land rather than allow Kgosi Gaborone to be uprooted and dumped elsewhere.
In its turn, the company agreed to accept a total annual rental of 150 pounds with 15/- (shillings) being contributed by every able-bodied male.
When the old chief died in 1932, at the age, it was thought, of 112, the British acquired the land from the company and created the Batlokwa Reserve.
Sources: The Bechuanaland Protectorate. A Sillery. OUP. 1952. Historical Dictionary of Botswana. Ramsay, Morton and Morton. 3rd Edition. The Scarecrow
Press. 1996. Photo probably by Duggan Cronin