Vol.23 No.75

Monday 22 May 2006    





Cartoon Strip

Business Week



Arts/Culture Review




Where It All Started

By Tshepo Molwanebrbr
Staff Writer

5/22/2006 3:58:59 PM (GMT +2)

The Zebras got off to a good start in the 10th Cosafa Castle Cup games when they hammered stubborn Madagascar 2-0 in an entertaining semi-final game at the National Stadium on Saturday. The win booked Zebras the much-needed date with South Africa in the final.

This was a sweet revenge for the Zebras who were kicked out of the African Nations Cup qualifiers by Madagascar in 2000. After beating the Scorpions 1-0 courtesy of Diphetogo 'Dipsy' Selolwane's strike in Gaborone, Zebras went on to lose the second leg 2-0 in Antananarivo. Since then, both sides have never met. By the look of things, Zebras went into the duel seeking revenge and immediately went on attack after Angolan referee Eugenio Colembi started the game. Zebras' dreadlocked striker, Tshepiso 'Sox' Molwantwa could have opened the scoring early in the game but his effort went narrowly wide. Madagascar did not let their opponents dictate terms as they surged forward. Their deadly striker, Faneva Andriatsima showed some brilliance but was closely watched by Ernest Amos. Botswana kept on attacking but all the efforts went to waste. Despite having a number of corners, they did not utilise them. In the 35th minute, Masego 'Abedi' Ntshingane could have opened the scoring after being fed by Selolwane but he was denied by an alert Ada Herve Andriamahenika in the Madagascar goal. Zebras' hard-tackling midfielder, Mogogi Gabonamong had a field day in the middle of the pack and his combination with Selolwane, Ntshingane and Molwantwa was brilliant. Botswana goalkeeper, Modiri Marumo was hardly tested in the opening half, as his defence led by Ndiyapo Letsholathebe stood firm. The young defender is improving with each game. He has the rare ability of sensing danger before it comes. Both sides came back from the break seeking the opening goal and Madagascar nearly broke the hearts of the home fans in the 53rd minute. Unfortunately, Pamphil Rabefita looked in disbelief when his effort came off the crossbar before Marumo recovered to collect it. A minute later, Molwantwa wasted another good opportunity. He was replaced by Township Rollers' teammate Moemedi 'Jomo' Moatlhaping to partner Selolwane. The visitors' goalkeeper did well in the 57th minute when he parried Selolwane's freekick for a corner. The moment many have been waiting for came in 66th minute when substitute Moatlhaping tapped home a well-taken corner by Nelson 'Viola' Gabolwelwe. The goal sent thousands of Batswana into wild celebrations. Hardly two minutes after the opener, Batswana were once again celebrating after Khumo 'Shoes' Motlhabane beautifully headed home Letsholathebe's freekick past goalkeeper, Andriamahenika. The writing was on the wall and all Batswana were talking about now was their long-awaited date with South Africa's Bafana Bafana. In the end, Gabonamong was chosen man of the match and went home with R2,000 cheque. In the first semi-final, Benson Mhlongo headed home David Kannemeyer's freekick to give Bafana Bafana a 1-0 win over Swaziland in a dull encounter. This was Mhlongo's first international goal and an important one as it gave South Africa their first victory in four games. Bafana Bafana defender, Gabriel Mofokeng was chosen as the man of the match and was rewarded with a R2,000 cheque. Send us your comments about Mmegi newspaper Search For Old Newspaper Editions To advertise contact us through email

Mmegi, 2002
Developed by Cyberplex Africa